s

News

Eradicate toxins and mould naturally

All Natural DIY Mould Remover

June_recipe_mould_remover

Before the rise of the commercial modern-day cleaners we recognise today, the way we dealt with cleaning conundrums in the home was simpler. Some home grown wisdom, a little bit of elbow grease, and a remedy often made of natural ingredients that were easy to obtain, or already in the home. Many households are returning to these tried and true remedies in an effort to reduce toxins in the home, reduce their waste, and save money. earthYARD stocks a wide range of natural ingredients that can help you on your way to being a DIY master.

As Winter takes hold in Australia, many of us are spending more time in the warmth indoors, and keeping the doors and windows shut tight against cold and drafts. Wintry hibernation habits such as hot, steamy showers and drying clothes indoors, coupled with sometimes ineffective ventilation, can create a warm and moist environment which is perfect for enticing an unwanted guest into your home: Mould.

Mould is part of a group of organisms called fungi that also include mushrooms and yeast. It thrives in the moist, dark areas of your home that lack adequate ventilation. Mould spreads via tiny particles called spores, which are carried in the air. These spores are present virtually everywhere, both indoors and outdoors, and may cause health problems if inhaled by people who are sensitive or allergic to them. According to a fact sheet provided by NSW Health*, The people with the greatest risk of health problems from contact with mould are:

  • People with asthma, allergies, or other breathing conditions
  • People with weakened immune systems (such as people with HIV infection, cancer patients taking chemotherapy or people who have received an organ transplant)
  • People with chronic lung diseases (such as Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) and emphysema)

Symptoms include a runny or blocked nose, irritation of the eyes and skin and sometimes wheezing. This is why it’s so important to keep mould at bay. To make sure mould doesn’t take hold in the dark, moist areas of your home, try some of these practical preventative measures:

  • Maintain proper ventilation: use exhaust fans when cooking, bathing or using a clothes dryer, and when the weather permits open windows to provide cross ventilation.
  • Reduce humidity: Limit the use of humidifiers, limit the number of houseplants in your home and don’t let them sit in trays of water.
  • Control moisture: Repair leaks and plumbing issues, and if water does enter your home, completely clean and dry carpets, etc and discard anything that cannot be cleaned and dried completely.

If you do discover mould this winter, there are many ways to remove it. There are a trove of homemade, DIY options that can reduce your environmental footprint, reduce your use of single-use plastic packaging, and are also gentle on the household budget. Instead of introducing further toxins into your home by using harsh commercial cleaners, try a natural home remedy to remove mould like the one below.

All Natural DIY Mould Remover Recipe

Ingredients:
½ Cup Bi Carb Soda
¼ cup White Vinegar
10 drops each Cold Pressed Lemon Oil and Clove Bud Oil

Method:
In a deep bowl mix the essential oils into the vinegar until evenly dispersed.
Mix in the bi carb soda a tablespoon at a time until you have a running paste.
Using gloves, dip a damp cloth into the mixture and wipe over mould area until covered.
Leave to set and dry (this will take approximately 10-15 minutes).
Scrub the dried paste to ensure you get everything.
Wipe clean with a cloth and hot water.
Repeat every few months to maintain a mould free space.

Note: As you’re working you will notice your paste begins to harden. You can increase flow by adding a touch more vinegar or a splash of hot water.

*Access NSW Health Fact sheet on mould here:
https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/environment/factsheets/Pages/mould.aspx

Why Diffuse

To diffuse or to burn. The buzz out there is that diffusing is the new burning and people are just going bonkers for these ultrasonic beauties.

There are so many ways to use essential oils from direct to chakra application, burning them, wearing them, reed diffusing them, room spraying them, atomizing them, you name it, we've done it. But the method we've stuck to is diffusing. 

reed diffuser

What is diffusing?
Diffusing is the best way (we think) to get all the benefits of the essential oil. Diffusers use ultra-sonic technology to atomize the essential oil in water and pushes the cold steam into the room. Diffusing allows us to inhale the aromas, activating the limbic system (biology lesson alert) which is the emotional centre of the brain. Remember those times when you smell something and an emotion is triggered, freshly cut grass, baking bread, rain, essential oil inhalation is a bit like that. Emotional triggers are learned and essential oils work a bit the same way.

Diffuse Lavender and think calm thoughts, you can learn calm and trigger it by diffusing lavender. 

This is the only reason to diffuse. Here's a small list:

Remove odours, promote sleep, purify the air, create comfort, reduce cravings, support the immune system, boost memory recall, set a mood, de-stress, heal depression. It's just a small list.

oil burner

Why no burn?
Heating oils can create volatility. This can dramatically change the aroma but also can burn off some of the important natural compositional constituents that carry the benefits that we use oils for. For example (Science time):

One of the constituents of Eucalyptus oil is Cineole. Cineole is known for it's anti-spasmodic benefits. It also burns off quickly and at lower temperatures than some of the other constituents in the oil. By applying direct heat to the oil the heavier volatile's are turned into resin which is left in the dish and don't make it into the air.
It was thought that this could be fixed by adding water, but the end result hardly changed.

A diffuser atomizes the enter oil.

Okay, we've sold you now how do you care for your diffuser? Simples. Use a rubbing alcohol to or a white vinegar to wipe out the inside of the diffuser which will neutralise any residual odours. That's it.

Is it safe?
It sure is. Provided you're putting good quality pure oils into your diffuser no nasty chemicals will be diffused.

puppy and kitten

What about for pets?
There are studies and reports out there that say some oils are not good for cats and dogs. Just be mindful that animals have a much better sense of smell and less is more. If your pet starts to react to the oils you are diffusing it's best to remove them form the room. Most oils are fine but best to do some research before you diffuse at home.

Cats are particularly sensitive to polyphenolic compounds which can be found in: cinnamon, tea tree, thyme, birch, wintergreen, clove, and oregano.

There have been reports of dogs being irritated by anise, clove, garlic, horseradish, juniper, thyme, wintergreen, and yarrow. 

Use common sense and dilute the oil before diffusing and monitor your pet's reactions.

We've tried and tested many diffusers and have settled on one that ticks all our boxes:

1) Auto shut off. When the water level reaches below a certain point the diffuser will automatically turn off.

2) Run time. On full speed you can get 6 hours straight run time out of our diffusers. At low speed we have reports of up to 22 hours.

3) No neon. Need we say more.

4) Quietness. You can hardly hear it. No whirring or hissing.

5) Decor appeal. Looks pretty smart on the shelf, by the sink or under a plant.

6) Affordability. No need to pay through the nose for what we believe should be in every home.

Our diffusers are $59.95 and come in two beautiful wood grain finishes. Spend over $250 with us you get one free. Now that's a pretty nifty Christmas gift.

Bec
x