Natural deodorants are all the rage - there are so many fantastic products out there to try now and we love that we now have the option to change it up a bit month to month.
But, and i say this with greatest respect to all those fantastic brands out there creating their magic, sometimes it's nice to just make it yourself.
If you do feel like giving this one a go, you'll need an old deodorant bottle - why buy new when you can reuse. Give it a soak in hot water and methylated spirits then a bit of a polish with Apple Cider Vinegar and Lemon Oil (vodka is the best - but you can also use methylated spirits if you're booze free). Leave to dry whilst you're mixing up your deodorant.
About the ingredients:
Lavender Floral Water - we prefer to use our floral waters for deodorant bases as they're already preserved and can add a bit of something special to the overall aroma of the deodorant. Our floral waters are made using 100% pure essential oil here by use and are made to order so they're super fresh.
Witch Hazel Extract - Witch Hazel extract is a powerful anti-bacterial product that is alcohol extracted. After extraction the alcohol is distilled off leaving at most 14% left in the solution. If you prefer an alcohol free deodorant we recommend substituting for Apple Cider Vinegar or Tea Tree Floral Water.
Vegetable Glycerine - including this ingredient in your deodorant will keep a beautiful silky consistency and help the skin to absorb all the beautiful natural active ingredients in this recipe.
Baking Soda - the most important ingredient in the recipe, this ingredient is the odour fighting ingredient, the one that gets rid of the smelly bacteria.
Guar Gum - this ingredient acts as a thickener and emulsifier of the oily ingredients into the watery ingredients, like a binder.
Zinc Oxide - this ingredient helps to protect and soothe the skin by warding off any harmful bacteria.
Each of the ingredients in this quick recipe are available from our store or easily found at wholefoods stores, scoop and weigh stores or your local grocer. This recipe creates a liquid deodorant so a roller deodorant bottle is best. If you don't have a used deodorant bottle a serum pump bottle will do. What you'll need: 1. Small Mixing Bowl 2. Wooden Spoon or Spatula and a Whisk 3. Cooking pot for heating 4. Thermometer 5. Pouring jug or piping bag 6. Deodorant bottle
- 200mL of Lavender Floral Water (Or plain boiled and then cooled water)
- 40mL of Witch Hazel Extract
- 10mL of Palm Free Vegetable Glycerine
- 2 Teaspoons of Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon of Guar Gum
- 6-8 drops of essential oil (we love Peppermint, Lime and Frankincense)
- Optional - 1/2 teaspoon of Zinc Oxide (available from healthfood stores)
- Boil your Floral Water and Witch Hazel together over medium heat. Once at boiling stage remove from heat.
- Immediately whisk in your Baking Soda and keep whisking until the mixture has cooled slightly.
- Once it's cooled to around 80°C whisk in your guar gum. This will thicken your mixture into a near gel like substance.
- Fold in the Vegetable Glycerine, you'll notice it becomes silky smooth
- Cool to room temperature then add your essential oil drops
- Optional - sift then stir in your Zinc Oxide
- Mix until all ingredients are well combined, poor into deodorant bottle - let set for up to 24 hours and you're good to go.
- Shake to activate before use